Adopt a Soldier Program
We are pleased to announce the start of our two-week Adopt-A-Soldier campaign. We have adopted the 190 men and women of the 113th Field Artillery Battalion, Headquarters Battery, N.C. Army National Guard, based out of Charlotte. They are led by Major Michael B. Kluttz, nephew of former Cabarrus Rotarian Ted Kluttz, and are deployed to Kuwait.
First, I need to thank Rotarian Heather Kincel for setting up an Amazon Wish List for our soldiers. This allows all of us to purchase items on-line, and have them shipped directly to our Military Missions In Action friends in Fuquay, who then handle our (free) overseas shipping to Kuwait. By doing it this way, Heather has us back on schedule in spite of the fact that we haven't met in person since March!
Here's what to do:
- Amazon Wish List: After reading these instructions, please click on the blue link below. This will take you directly to the Amazon Wish List. Shop for our soldiers by adding selected items to your shopping cart.
- Note re: Shipping Costs: Shipping is free IF you are a Prime Member, or order at least $25 of items (other than Pantry items). For items that come from the Amazon Pantry (you'll see "Pantry" noted in the item description), shipping is free only if you order at least $35 of Pantry items.
- Personalized Messages: By choosing the option of "This is a Gift" you will be able to add a personalized note during checkout. Please take a little extra time and type in personalized messages to the soldiers. These will be attached to your items. Major Mike has said how much this means to his troops! Follow the prompts!
- Check-out and pay like you always do with Amazon purchases. You will notice that the Military Missions In Action shipping address is pre-loaded.
- Please be generous and think about the sacrifices these men and women are making being away from their loved ones, their jobs, and their communities during these trying times. Instead of just saying, "Thanks for your service," let's really show how much we appreciate them!
Thank you in advance for your on-going support of our annual Adopt-A-Soldier drives! This is a "Service Above Self" project that we can all be proud of! Feel free to call Dave at 704-788-1345 should you have any problems.
The project was started by a 17-year member of the Rotary Club, Steve Grubb. The project started when a friend of his from church, Paul R. Johnson, SFC, NCARNG, was deployed for his second tour in Iraq. When another church member asked him, via e-mail, what they could send him, he said he’d prefer for them to send a package to soldiers that didn’t have much of a support network, family and friends, and therefore didn’t receive much of anything. When Grubb brought the request to the club, about 25 people offered up help.
In the past, we have partnered with the Hornet's Nest Council of Girl Scouts on this project!
During most campaigns, around 70-80 boxes are sent to the soldiers. Each package costs about $13 to ship and can be filled with a variety of items. Typically, boxes are filled with non-perishable items like lip balm, toothbrushes, personal wipes, magazines, drink mixes for water bottles and games like cards. In recent years, we have also partnered with Military Missions in Action to get boxes to deserving soldier.